So for Hurricane Irene we got a nice present. A very small amount of water came in through the bilco door to the basement. It traveled around the wall of the basement past the area where we don't care about and got into the area where the previous owners of our house had installed some carpet. Once it reached the carpet, capillary action sucked all the moisture into the pad and carpet fibers, and everything sitting on the carpet began to grow mold. Since we were cheapskates and didn't invest in shelving to hold all our junk when we moved in, we had a LOT of junk sitting on that carpet. And here is the result:
The moral of the story:
Here's what my hubby has been doing on his vacation. Yes, he's been home from work since Wednesday working on the furniture he's building, the garden and this mini split heat pump installation. In turn, I have gotten almost nothing done! But this is a shout out to my father-in-law who came here today (when he could've otherwise been making money with real clients) to help drill this hole through our wall.
Here you can see the plumbing and electrical wires going from the kitchen through my office and into the closet. Isn't this a lovely view? It is not at all good for feng shui, but I have decided to put up a shelf or something to block the view and correct the situation. The brick wall is double brick thickness, so the boys had to rent a giant saw from The Home Depot. It worked pretty well, all things considered.
This is inside the closet. Wasn't it nice of the previous owners to leave the ceiling in the closet open like that for us to use? I think it was pretty sweet.
Here you can see the services spewing out of the office past the bathroom window. We have some downspout to encase everything and attach it to the wall. It will look much better when all is said and done, I have been promised.
And here is the unit which I was talking about in a previous post. (you can see the evil oil access just to the left of it) Now we need to have an electrician and a plumber out to check everything out and do the hookups. I did mention that this is all my husband's doing. You would think that I had more input, but I didn't really. I just decided where to put the units, not how to hook them up. We did a whole test using white sage, and I think it will supplement the oil heat well.